domingo, 9 de outubro de 2005

Switch your radio on


Another day, another garage rock revivalist... Power chords, adrenaline-amped rhythms, and safe melodies all combined together.
Yep! The second wave of smelly 80’s revivalist post-punk-pop-rock opportunistic bands has landed:
PROTOCOL – EDITORS – MAXIMO PARK - THE CLOUD ROOM - THE PRESETS - BLOC PARTY- KASABIAN – THE CHALETS - ARCTIC MONKEYS - THE BRAVERY - HOT HOT HEAT – CLINIC- ELECTRIC SIX – THE ZUTONS – KAISER CHIEFS - THE FUTUREHEADS – RAZORLIGHT - THE RAKES – BABYSHAMBLES- THE WALKMEN …and yada yada yada.

I have had a hard time thinking of anything to say about these brandish type of bands because even if I like some of them at the moment I am listening to it, usually it goes completely out of my head. Right now I cannot for the life of me, think how any of their songs go, what they are called, anything about them. It's weird ... it makes it hard for me to get into them, since most of the time I get hooked on bands by getting their songs in my head (in a good way). Maybe because they’re all insanely dull, void and repetitive? Maybe…

There are some few but good exceptions, such as "The Killers", "The Arcade Fire", or even "Franz Ferdinand" (not real my type but I understand why many people like them. But if I hear another reference to them as the "British Strokes", I swear I'm jumping off!).

I think you (informed people) know as well as anybody that there is an awful lot of good music out there right now, but you have to go looking for it, which most people aren't willing to do. When an average good band like one of these 3 comes along and gets a lot of popular press, it sounds incredibly fresh next to most of the forgettable rubbish that camps out on the radio and Billboard charts right now. However, in general terms the accompanying "rock 'n' roll is back" hype is a bit baffling to folks that know it never really left in the first place. I am sure we will all be thoroughly sick of them in a few months, at which point everyone will move onto the next "next big thing". They are all particularly vivid examples of bands that the music industry picks up, chews on and then spits out a little bit later ("The White Stripes" and "The Libertines" imagery came suddenly into to my head…don’t know why).

Honestly, complaining about commercial rock these days is just silly and useless. It sucked hard for about five years ago. What would happen if all these hypster bands weren't around? Would there be 10 times as many Creed/Limp Bizkit/ Kid Rock/ Nickel back/ Avril Lavigne bands in the world instead? To tolerate one or two of these present bands that do it better than the rest wouldn't actually hurt. If this “indie–turns-commercial” wave hadn’t happened, would we knew about any decent stuff such as The Strokes or Interpol? I don’t think so! So…moderation and filtration I supose? I guess so.
Led
Posted by Picasa

Sem comentários: